CPUTYPE=p2 on a p3

Ronald Klop ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org
Thu May 12 02:21:57 PDT 2005

Hello,

I've a mix of p2 and p3 cpu's, but I only want to compile world ones. In
the past I had problems with running a world optimized with CPUTYPE=p2 on
a p3. Is this a known issue? Are the i386, i486, p1, p2, p3 and p4
backwards compatible in respect to this?
I understand that optimizing for p2 isn't optimal for the p3, but the code
should just run isn't it?
If that is known to not work, what is the max cputype which works for all?
Is it wise to use CPUTYPE=i486 or pentiumpro?

Greetings,

Ronald.

PS: Please cc me.

--