startx fail after portupgrade Xorg 6.8.2 - (keyboard)

vizion at ixpres.com vizion at ixpres.com
Wed May 11 16:47:30 PDT 2005

Hi
My original XF86Config has not been changed during upgrade to 6.8.2 nor
have there been any hardware changes. Startx worked prior to upgrade - now
display starts and immediately returns to consol. Keyboard works fine on
consol.
Log file entries relating to kb are as follows:

Note that the driver name is case-sensitive.

------
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.2
Config file /etc/X11/XF86Config
Log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "KkbModel" "pc104"
(**) XKB: model: "pc104"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
(**) XKB: layout: "us"
(==) Keyboard: CustomKeycode disabled

(EE) No Input driver matching 'keyboard'

No core keyboard

Fatal server error
failed to initialize core devices

-------
What have I not done!!
-----

Answer Failed to go to the right place for info !
I have found the answer to my question on X.orgs website!

-------
5.1. Legacy keyboard driver phase-out

The legacy keyboard driver is no longer compiled into the X server by
default on certain platforms (including Linux). The newer kbd driver
replaces the older built-in driver. It is suggested that, if the X server
says that it cannot load the keyboard driver, then the xorg.conf file
should be updated to use the new kbd driver, which can be done by changing
the Driver line in the InputDevice section. For example,

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
EndSection

David

David Southwell              Ham call sign M0TAU
   ****Remove  nospamme_ from reply to ******
English Owner & Captain of British Registered 60' bluewater Ketch S/V
Taurus. Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May bound for Europe via
Panama Canal.