I need further HDD advice before submitting order.

Lars Kristiansen lars at adventuras.no
Wed May 11 16:26:43 PDT 2005

> Jerry McAllister wrote:
>  > One small modification, as someone noted, if you make a vinum or
> mirror,
>  > you will probably not want the chunk of swap to be on the front of
>  > the second drive.   So, you can make it last without too much
> difficult.
>
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>  > If you do want to mirror the boot disk, you want the first partition to
>  > be bootable and resemble the first disk, which means you do not want to
>  > put swap first on the 200GB drive.

Hi, just a comment on one of the issues:
For what its worth, I have two identical disks mirrored with gvinum, and
where swap is first on the disk.
As an example, here is bsdlabel-output for one:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:  2097152  2097417    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  b:  2097152        0      swap
  c: 78172227        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't
edit
  d: 76075075  2097152     vinum

Some of this is described in in the vinum section of The Handbook.
Sorry but I cannot remember the details when installing, so I will refrain
from giving detailed advice.
This setup has worked well at least for me; the system can boot from either
disk in case of a diskfault.

It does of course not cover a failed update attempt or a quick
configuration change gone bad. So I am going to try that /altroot advice
too.

--
Med vennlig hilsen
Lars Kristiansen