user owned groups

Lewis Thompson lewiz at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Wed May 11 13:33:45 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:44:04PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Sure, modulo the permissions on .cshrc itself.  If you don't want them to,
> give that file 600 perms.  The Unix octal permissions bits work just fine
> for almost all reasonable cases, but no default is ever going to suit all
> possible variations of intent.

Yeah, I was thinking more have a default that protects files/directories
(0600/0700) from other users (inherited from the parent directory).  To
provide public_html I would have to explicitly set the permissions to
0755.

> Anyway, if you do want to do something more complex, look to UFS2 and
> POSIX ACL's.

I might give this a go, actually, thanks :)

-Lewis Thompson.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:lewiz at fajita.org | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-