FreeBSD-stable link is broken

james carnell jimcarnell at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 13:20:45 PDT 2005

Dear Patient Person,

I am at the site:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html

Section: A.2 FTP Sites

the address for downloading FreeBSD is:
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/

in the README file on this page it is stated that:

"FreeBSD-stable/
    This contains files relating to FreeBSD-stable, the stable
    code branch of FreeBSD."

So I go back to the ftp window and click on the shortcut:
FreeBSD-stable

This directs me to page:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable

This page does not exist, and I get a Page Not Found Error.

I am trying to install FreeBSD on an Intel 100 MHz computer with 16 Megs of RAM
Is this possible and if so which version should I choose? I am applying for a systems operator position and think it would be very beneficial if I could show them that I have at least some familiarity with a network. Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!

should I go here???
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/5.4/

Sincerely,
-jim