user owned groups

Lewis Thompson lewiz at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Wed May 11 12:31:12 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 03:15:40PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> If you "mkdir private && chmod 700 private", any files created under
> private will be safely[1] hidden away from anyone else but you, regardless
> of their permissions or what your umask is.

Ah, okay.  A slightly bad example.  How about 0711 (now a home
directory, say /home/lewiz).  I would like to have a public_html
directory that is generally accessible.

Since /home/lewiz is now executable is it not possible for somebody to
do, say, cat /home/lewiz/.cshrc?  They know the file is there (but can't
use ls to see it) so can access it.

Sorry for all these questions ;)

-Lewis Thompson.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:lewiz at fajita.org | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-