user owned groups

Lewis Thompson lewiz at compsoc.man.ac.uk
Wed May 11 11:56:24 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 02:33:30PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> setgid on directories won't help, but maybe the behavior of the sticky bit
> is what you are looking for?  Is how stuff in /tmp handled OK
> permission-wise for your expectations?

No, I was thinking more along the lines of inheriting permissions on new
files from the directory they are in, i.e.

umask 22
mkdir inherit && chmod 5700 inherit (let's pretend 5 is my inherit mode)
cd inherit && touch test

The end result would be that test would be created 0600 (or maybe 0700
but that's not very handy).

Does that make sense?  Is it possible?

Thanks,

-Lewis Thompson.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:lewiz at fajita.org | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-