I need further HDD advice before submitting order.

freebsd.org at donnacha.com freebsd.org at donnacha.com
Wed May 11 10:20:27 PDT 2005

Hi Chuck, thanks for responding.

> ... For what it's worth, I'd rather have two 80GB
> drives in a RAID-1 mirror than have my stuff on two seperate drives, but
> using software RAID like vinum/gvinum, you can still mirror 80GB onto
> the 200GB drive, and have an additional 120 GB of space left over.

That does sound like a good idea, especially if it's something I can
introduce at a later stage.

> [ You don't have to do anything about that now, if you do leave an 80 GB
> chunk of space uncommitted on the big disk. ]

By uncommitted do you mean space that I keep completed unallocated or
can it be space in which, following Jeremy's suggestion, I create a
temporary file system that I keep empty until I learn how to use
vinum/gvinum?

Thanks,

Donnacha