best practices for administration

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed May 11 10:02:49 PDT 2005

Since the BSD community seems to be more security conscious than other
(read windows system administrators) groups, I wanted to see if anyone
here would have any pointers to best practices documents when
administering ANY operating system, not just FreeBSD. I am assuming
that many of you must manage other operating systems as well.

The nexus of my query lies in my attempt to have our central IT folks
issue additional identities for users to have when administering the
systems versus doing productivity work on them. I'd like to understand
what is done generally when granting users permissions to do things on
the operating system that imply 'administration', ie installing
software, adding printers, modifying system scripts, etc. There are
some here who think that putting standard user ID's into
administrative 'groups' is sufficient for granting such priveledges.

hopefully, I'm not being too obscure.
--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257