problems with pop3 daemons

Gal Ben-Haim gal at aftershock.co.il
Wed May 11 06:58:31 PDT 2005

Im running a mailserver on FreeBSD 5.4, for some time now im
experiencing problems with downloading large messages (above 1 mb but i
don't know from which size it starts) through pop3:
After about 30 secs of downloading, the download just hangs,
qpopper's output to the logs is: ay 11 16:31:00 loki qpopper[57578]: I/O
error flushing output to client xxx Operation not permitted (1).

I tried to switch pop3 daemon, and tried popd, pop3lite and pop3ad.. all
did the same thing but didn't report anything..

im using ipfw to limit the bandwidth to port 110 with the following rules:
pipe 1 config bw 16KByte/s
add pipe 1 tcp from me 110 to any

although I tried turning ipfw off and got the same results.

Im also using pf as my firewall and allowing ICMP with the following rules:
pass in on $ext_if inet proto icmp from any to any keep state
pass out on $ext_if inet proto icmp all keep state

what can be the problem ?!