shutdown -r -> halt!

Joel rees at ddcom.co.jp
Tue May 10 19:05:55 PDT 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:15:56 +0200
Andrea Venturoli <ml.diespammer at netfence.it> wrote

> Hello.
> As per subject: on a quite recent machine running FreeBSD 5.4, when I
> issue "shutdown -r now" the machine powers off.
> Where do I start digging into this?

I have been wondering about this myself, so I searched for "shutdown
-p"+"freebsd"+"configuration" on google and found this:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2004-January/005348.html

but neither "man sysctl" nor "sysctl -Ahe" shows a variable called
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff . There was a slightly suspicious looking
kern.shutdown.poweroff_delay, but it's set to 5000, and I'm pretty sure
I've shut the box down and come back ten minutes later to find the
screen still saying "hit any key to reboot" or whatever it was.

Hmm. Maybe I'll play with that a little later.

--
Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム