Learning UNIX internals

Alden Pierre alden.pierre at verizon.net
Tue May 10 08:34:16 PDT 2005

Charles Swiger wrote:

> On May 7, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
>> Yes, it will be.  You'll need something more basic to start with.
>> While the books you asked about in your initial post will be okay,
>> my suggestion would be [Tanenbaum, "Modern Operating Systems",
>> ISBN 0130313580], which provides more of a theoretical background for
>> OS concepts.
>

> I'd second this recommendation.  Tanenbaum's a good author...

I'm currently using this book in my OS class this semester.  I have no
knowledge on unix internals, but this book gives
an excellent overview on OS concepts. After we had finished the chapter
2 on threads and process,  I used this site
to learn about synchornization
http://www.llnl.gov/computing/tutorials/workshops/workshop/pthreads/MAIN.html#Overview.
Not to mention after finishing each chapter, we used
Nachos(http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/tom/nachos/) to build
on the ideas Tanenbaum's talked about.  Once I'm done with this book, I
think I'll be ready to look at the book by Marshall
Kirk McKusick.  I'm in undergrad in my 2nd year in the computer science
curriculm, so I was fortunate to have a great professor
to help me along the way.

Regards,
Alden