5 day lockup on Densitron

Richard J. Valenta RJV at WEBLINKMO.COM
Mon May 9 23:21:47 PDT 2005

First off - thank you for both your replies...

The manufacturer (Densitron) has little info available, especially
technological info.  I'm going to continue to look for this, but do
either of you or anyone else have ideas on where to look for this?
Would it be called a 'watchdog' in the BIOS?

Previous to this install there was a smaller hard disk and a Windows
2000 install.  However, there was no regular reboot or anything else I
knew of.  Of course, who knows if there's some kind of base Windows
'stroker' that I'm unaware of, or if there was something in place that
was part of the application it ran.

Anyway - ideas on where to look, and subsequently disable, this (if its
there)?

Thanks again,

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Clifton
Royston
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 12:39 AM
To: RW
Cc: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: 5 day lockup on Densitron

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 04:30:15AM +0100, RW wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2005 02:00, Clifton Royston wrote:
> >  What you describe
> > could conceivably be the result of a special counter or RTC chip
> > running as a "watchdog timer" with a count-down from boot time, and
> > generating some kind of special interrupt when that countdown
reaches
> > 0.  Watchdog devices are sometimes set up to require the application
> > software to "stroke" the timer periodically (reset it in software)
with
> > the intent to force a reset of the system (usually a reboot) after
> > such-and-such a period of time if not stroked.
>
> Watchdog timeouts are typically a fraction of a minute, a 5 day
watchdog
> timeout is very unlikely.

  Watchdogs are normally designed to be initialized at boot by the
software, and as FreeBSD doesn't know about it...

  It's a long-shot, but less so than "overheating" always happening to
build up and cause a reset randomly at exactly the same 5 day period of
time as somebody suggested.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair