heavy load proxy+nat server with ipfw ?

Abu Khaled khaled.abu at gmail.com
Mon May 9 19:10:02 PDT 2005

On 5/10/05, Ed Stover <estover at nativenerds.com> wrote:
> S t i n g r a y wrote:
> > i want to replace my microsoft based firewall with a
> > freebsd based firewall + proxy + NAt server based on
> > ipfw , with internet users approx upto 800-1000
> > simaltanious . i already have the internet link +
> > hardware to support it ,
> > do you guys think ipfw + squid with freebsd will be
> > able to handle such loads ?
> >

> > thanks
> >

> > *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨¨*¤ Stingray *º¤., ¸¸,.¤º*¨¨*¤
> >

> Yes very much so. At a local college they have over 700 PCs surfing the
> net constintly through a P3 700Mhz 512MB Ram and 10Gb HDD. The machine
> is running FreeBSD 4.5, squid, squidGuard, ipfw, natd. Transparent
> content filtering and nat. Simple sweet and fast...

I use FreeBSD 5 STABLE as a Router with IPFW, DUMMYNET, Squid,
DansGuardian and Bind as a forwarding DNS cache for 100 users. All
this is running on an old PIII 500Mhz with 128MB ram and 20GB HDD. 100
users may not be much but I guess with more RAM The FreeBSD box well
handle more clients.
I only use the BOX to test FreeBSD 5 performance for future plans and
so far it rocks except for a few problems (sure thats what STABLE is
for).

Ed, can you please tell me more about "Transparent content filtering".
Sounds intresting

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled