Low bandwidth

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Mon May 9 12:00:09 PDT 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 07:03:26PM +0300, Sergiu - IT wrote:
> Hi, guys !
> I have a small network at home and I noticed something curious... When I
> try to copy from one computer to another (the transfer is made through
> the server - without a switch), the bandwidth is very low, about 2Mb/s.
> Does anyone know why ? Another thing is that the bandwidth from the
> server or from one of the "home" computers to the "outside" LAN is very
> low too, about 700Kb/s up to 1.5Mb/s. Does anyone know why is that ?
> Here is what ifconfig shows me :

  My axiom with regard to Ethernet is "Autodetect doesn't."

  I notice your connected cards are all showing 100/Full duplex.  I
suspect the other sides of your connections think they have negotiated
half duplex.  A duplex mismatch on 100BaseT will often end up giving
you around 1-3 Mb/s actual throughput after all the packet collisions.

  Try using ifconfig to fix speeds on *both* ends of each connection to
100/FD, then see what happens to the throughput.  The xl and fxp
drivers are both very reasonable drivers/cards, so assuming your wiring
is solidly connected cat 5, you should get great throughput.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair