is 4.11 still a good idea?

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon May 9 11:06:07 PDT 2005

At 12:02 PM +0800 5/9/05, Foo Ji-Haw wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>I'm thinking of installing 4.11 on my next server, seeing that we
>have some Java issues on the 5.x series (I've been informed that
>native Java on 5.x is not a good idea).
>
>Can I get some feedback on whether development and/ or support on
>4.11 is still active and updated? I've spent quite some time on
>the 4.x series, so I am quite comfortable with it.

4.11 is still supported, in the sense of getting serious bugs fixed
and security fixes.  There are very few developers adding anything
new to it though.  It is very very stable -- which is to say "it
rarely changes at all".

If 4.11-release works on the hardware you want to install it in,
then it should be a very safe choice to go with.  If it does not
support some parts of your hardware now, then it is very likely to
never support those parts.

4.11-release would be a very safe OS to install, but you better be
pretty happy with it as it exists right now.  You are not going to
see much in the way of improvements made to it.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu