Unable to set up LPD to use a HP Laserjet 5p in freeBSD 5.3

modelt20 at canada.com modelt20 at canada.com
Mon May 9 08:07:35 PDT 2005

Hello All:

You guys are great! Three replies, with three issues to
look at!

It appears the problem was a defective (????) parallel
printer cable. The one I was using didn't have all the
pins connected. I replaced it with a new one, and now
everything works fine. The cable I had must have been a
Microsoft thing ;)

The additional suggestions focused on the filter file,
and I gained a great deal of insight from these. There
were some points on tuning that I hadn't thought of, so
these comments will be helpful as well.

Thanks to all of you!!

On Sun, 8 May 2005 17:48:43 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
wrote:

> 1) Copy a MSDOS text file to the system (one that
> contains ^M^L as each
> line terminator)
>
> 2) cat file /dev/lpt0
>
> If the file doesen't come out the printer, it's a
> problem with the
> parallel post hardware, or the cabling.
>
> Ted

Behalf
> Of
> > modelt20 at canada.com
> > Sent: Sunday, May 08, 2005 5:44 PM
> > To: freeBSD-questions at freebsd.org
> > Subject: Unable to set up LPD to use a HP Laserjet
5p
> in freeBSD 5.3
> >

> > Hello
> >
> > I`m trying to install my HP laserjet 5p on freebsd
> 5.3.
> > The printer doesn`t understand postscript.
> > I`ve read the handbook and installed ghostscript and
> > lpd.
> > I changed rc.conf to start lpd for each system
boot.

> > dmesg printer part looks like this:
> >
> > ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5P> HP ENHANCED
> > PCL5,PJL
> > lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
> > lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
> > ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus
> >
> > printcap looks like this:
> >
> > lp|HP Laserjet 5P:\
> > :sh:\
> > :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
> > :lf=/var/log/lpd:\
> > :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
> > :if=/etc/lpfilter:
> >
> > Whenever I try to print to the printer, I get an
error
> > status on the printer that the owners manual calls a
> > "Data Error" (two lights on the panel). The 'Go'
> button
> > must be pressed repeatedly to get the page to print;
> > and it doesn't look complete. I've used several of
the