Unable to set up LPD to use a HP Laserjet 5p in freeBSD 5.3

modelt20 at canada.com modelt20 at canada.com
Sun May 8 17:44:07 PDT 2005

Hello

I`m trying to install my HP laserjet 5p on freebsd 5.3.
The printer doesn`t understand postscript.
I`ve read the handbook and installed ghostscript and
lpd.
I changed rc.conf to start lpd for each system boot.

dmesg printer part looks like this:

ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 5P> HP ENHANCED
PCL5,PJL
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus

printcap looks like this:

lp|HP Laserjet 5P:\
:sh:\
:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
:lf=/var/log/lpd:\
:lp=/dev/lpt0:\
:if=/etc/lpfilter:

Whenever I try to print to the printer, I get an error
status on the printer that the owners manual calls a
"Data Error" (two lights on the panel). The 'Go' button
must be pressed repeatedly to get the page to print;
and it doesn't look complete. I've used several of the
lpfilters from the ports collection, but none seems to
work.

Has anyone set up this printer model to work in freeBSD
5.3 and can shed some light on what I have done wrong?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.