Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat May 7 08:54:02 PDT 2005

On May 7, 2005, at 7:15 AM, Alex de Kruijff wrote:

>>> Then why do so many forms require that you tick a checkbox to assert
>>> that you've read and accepted the terms on the page?
>>
>>> In any case, nothing like that exists for FreeBSD lists.
>>
>> To make sure, that even the most dangerous people, to the society
>> accept
>> the fact, that they need to think for them self.
>
> How can one logicaly conclude that a message they send to the list is
> included in google and other websites?

Hmm...Googling for the mailing list name?  Or Googling for what you're
having a problem with in the first place...you know, what is advised as
a good first step in the first place...and seeing, in the results,
messages contained in the archives?  I'd normally stop and think that
maybe that would mean that postings would appear in the archive.  Some
people apparently wouldn't put 2 and 2 together and need to resort to
hiding behind legalese to protect themselves from the onslaught of
common sense or personal responsibility.

> The damage of a lawsuite can be large to the BSD society. Just look at
> what happend when the AT&T and BSD where involved in one. Is this one
> reason realy that strong to risk this?

You mean the one that set the precedents to allow FreeBSD to exist
today?