Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sat May 7 08:42:36 PDT 2005

On May 6, 2005, at 8:14 PM, Chris wrote:

> Hahaha - good stuff! Yanno, last I knew (and that was some time ago)
> You
> had to submit writings for review to the copyright folks here in the
> U.S.
>
> Then, if they deem it so, you then had to pay a fee to have it
> copyrighted.  As I said - this may or may not be the case any longer, I
> didn't know that just by writing something, you were grandted all the
> nifty perks of it being copywritten. Then again - I'm not a lawyer. And
> to be frank, I couldn't care less either.

No, when you write something, it's copyrighted automatically.  There
are steps you can take to help make your case stronger if you think
someone will steal your work (mailing yourself a sealed copy so it'll
be dated by the post office, for example), but if you write it and it's
your work you have the copyright on it automatically.