4.9-RELEASE Xorg switch question

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat May 7 08:13:03 PDT 2005

ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> writes:

> On 05/06/05 16:39, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> writes:
> >
> >> i looked at the 20040723 entry again, but there is nothing more to do
> >> (in my case) listed there. also 20040723 gives instructions for 5.x,
> >> FreeBSD-current, -stable and older -current, but doesn't explicitly
> >> mention -release (which is what i run).
> >
> > 4.x was the -STABLE branch at the time of that entry.
> > You are running 4.9, which was a release from the -STABLE branch.
> >
> > Just follow the advice that entry gives for -stable and you'll be fine.
> >

> lowell,
>
> thanks for the response. greatly appreciated -- i was afraid my post
> would be buried by the archive copyright debate ;-).

I'm not even reading it.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Good
software for reading mail groups is important if you're going to try
to follow lists like this...

>                                                      w.r.t your advice:
> i did follow the instructions in UPDATING. i am sure i am missing
> something obvious. here's the entry:
>
> >   20040723:
> >     AFFECTS: users of FreeBSD-current, users of xorg
> >     AUTHOR: anholt at FreeBSD.org
> >
> >     The XFREE86_VERSION variable is deprecated and has been replaced by the
> >     X_WINDOW_SYSTEM variable. X_WINDOW_SYSTEM may be set to xorg, xfree86-4, or
> >     xfree86-3.  X_WINDOW_SYSTEM defaults to xorg on FreeBSD-current.  If you are
> >     switching to xorg, you should follow this set of commands to cleanly upgrade:
> >
> >     pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/imake-4* /var/db/pkg/XFree86-*
> >     cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install
> >     pkgdb -F
> >
> >     Users of -stable or older -current can switch to X.Org by setting
> >     X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in make.conf and following the same process.
> >
> >     Alternately, FreeBSD 5.x and later users can use portupgrade with packages:
> >       cd /var/db/pkg
> >       <rest deleted since 5.x instructions not applicable>
> >

> i did the pkg_delete -f, xorg make install and ran pkgdb -F. i also set
> X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg in /etc/make.conf.
>
> i still get errors from portupgrade, etc., regarding stale dependencies
> on imake-4 and various XFree86 ports.

Hmm.  Are you sure that you deleted the imake ports before building
X.Org?  You shouldn't have stale imake dependencies from X.Org  if you
rebuilt both.  And the stale dependencies from other X ports should
get fixed up by pkgdb -F (which *will* require you to redirect the
dependencies, of course).