What is --- WRONG --- with my network?

Fafa Hafiz Krantz fteg at london.com
Sat May 7 03:56:17 PDT 2005

Hello Alex (and Jan)!

> It could be that type slave files need to go in the subdirectory slave
> and type master files need to go in the subdirectory master.

named doesn't give me any errors.
As I previously stated, my setup has been running flawlessly for months.

> Check you /var/log/messages for errors about this.

That what I find strange too.
/var/log/messages doesn't contain anything but the snort initialization!
And /var/named/var/log is totally empty.

Here is my security run though. Maybe PF is denying something by default?
Even though I removed it from rc.conf at one time, and problems still persisted,
there might have been something evil lurking in the back. I've had this problem
with IPFW, where I'd have to compile an option into my kernel for it not to
block everything.

ninja.example.com pf denied packets:
> block drop log all [ Evaluations: 184912 Packets: 5453 Bytes: 536087 States: 0 ]

Mail in local queue:
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
4E3A5154        544 Fri May  6 15:09:27  fafa at example.com