Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Marc Fonvieille blackend at freebsd.org
Sat May 7 01:38:10 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 02:49:23AM +0200, Alex de Kruijff wrote:

> > points on
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL
>
> That true and this would be a fine argument if this where the only way
> to get the list adress. This isn't the case. Now it the warning you
> get, afther you get before you are realy on the list, would point to
> this stating it got the conditions then this would be a compelling
> argument.

All, and I said "All", mailing list subscribing forms mention their
archives ("To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit
the freebsd-blahblah Archives.").  It is impossible to miss it.

Another thing, I do not really see many ways to discover the existence
of a FreeBSD mailing list:

- from archives via google or the FreeBSD.org search system
- from FreeBSD.org docs
- from the www.FreeBSD.org front page
- from a clairvoyant?

and these ways (at least most of them) clearly indicate the existence of
archives.
Anyway, it's just a false problem, it makes me think about a person
going to a TV show then later refusing to have "his face" recorded and
broadcasted...

Marc