CVS tag for specific release candidate

Luke Dean LukeD at pobox.com
Sat May 7 00:05:40 PDT 2005

On Fri, 6 May 2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:55:56PM -0700, Luke Dean wrote:
>>
>> I was using 5.4-RC1 until today.
>> Today I attempted to update to 5.4, but I can't get into single-user mode
>> without a panic.  I'm just about certain that this is because of the work
>> in progress in that ata-raid driver right now.
>> I'm using a Promise FastTrack S150 TX2Plus, and it's not happy with the
>> recent changes.  I'd be glad to help test the changes, but right now I'm
>> more concerned with getting my system in a stable shape.
>> I want to go back to 5.4-RC1, but I can't seem to get the CVS tag right.
>
> Release candidates are not tagged.  You can use a specific date with
> the -D option to roll back to before they were committed.  This is
> also more helpful because you can isolate the specific change that
> caused you problems.
>
> Unfortunately by now it might be too late to get this fixed for
> 5.4-RELEASE, but at least it can be fixed soon afterwards if there is
> a problem.

It's not a problem with the ata stuff after all.  It's definitely
something else.

I've managed to get 5.4-RELEASE installed, but I absolutely cannot get
into single-user mode.  I've tried selecting option 4 from the boot menu
and just running a "shutdown now" from multiuser mode.

When it gets to the point of asking what shell I want to run, usually the
system just freezes.  I can hit scroll lock to go back and read the dmesg,
but there's no way I'm going to get a shell prompt.  I can't type.
Alternately, sometimes I'll get a page fault panic as soon as I hit a key
- this is what usually happens if I'm trying to get into single-user mode
via shutdown.

If it doesn't panic, I can press ctrl-alt-delete (this is on i386 by the
way) and I'll get a message about how it can't write to
/var/db/mixer0-state or write other things to /var... which isn't
surprising since I couldn't get to a shell prompt to mount anything in the
first place.  I don't understand why it's trying to mess with /var at all.
I think something about my configuration must be fouled up.  I don't think
it's 5.4.  Sorry for the confusion.