Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Fri May 6 17:19:41 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:
> cpghost at cordula.ws wrote:
>
>>On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:10:58PM -0700, John Pettitt wrote:
>>

>>>This news just in:
>>>
>>>Fafa Hafiz Krantz a research designer at Barbershop in Norway (
>>>http://www.home.no/barbershop ) has asked that his posts be removed for
>>>all the archives of several public email lists.    The request sparked a
>>>heated debate over the issue of copyright on email lists and raised
>>>interesting questions about specifically opting in to having posts
>>>archived.  As is typical in such debates few of the participants cited
>>>any real evidence backing up their views and almost no attention was
>>>paid to the jurisdictional issues created by international lists.
>>>
>>>There was speculation that the request for deletion was prompted by the
>>>posters political views as referenced in his email signature which
>>>points to an article about middle east politics
>>>http://www.home.no/barbershop/smart/sharon.pdf
>>>
>>>With the debate he started Mr Krantz seems to have had ensured that his
>>>name will live in archives for the foreseeable future, referenced in
>>>articles such as this one which he has no copyright to and no control
>>>over.   In the end the best strategy seems to be: if you don't want to
>>>be quoted don't say anything.
>>>
>>>--END--
>>

>>ROTFL!
>>
>>Now post this on Slashdot and have it picked up by Google News and
>>major news agencies. I guess, Fafa's bandwidth costs will go through
>>the roof in the blink of an eye. So will his page rank, incidentally.
>>Not that I'm suggesting doing this, of course!
>>

>>>This news item may be archived and reposted in any medium without
>>>limitation including on search engines.
>>

>>Absolutely! Copyright doesn't protect anyone from making a fool out
>>of themselves.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>-cpgost.
>>

> Hahaha - good stuff! Yanno, last I knew (and that was some time ago) You
> had to submit writings for review to the copyright folks here in the U.S.
>
> Then, if they deem it so, you then had to pay a fee to have it
> copyrighted.  As I said - this may or may not be the case any longer, I
> didn't know that just by writing something, you were grandted all the
> nifty perks of it being copywritten. Then again - I'm not a lawyer. And
> to be frank, I couldn't care less either.

Ahhh - Here we go...

"Registration and the Copyright Process

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently
misunderstood. Copyright is secured automatically when the work is
created. A work is "created" when it is fixed into a book, tape or
electronic medium for the first time. Thus, for example, a song can be
fixed in sheet music or in a digital tape, or both. No publication,
registration or other action in the U.S. Copyright Office is required to
secure copyright. However, in order to enforce the copyright and for
many other practical reasons, it will be necessary to register the
copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office. "

http://www.legalzoom.com/law_library/copyrights/registration.html

So - I really don't think users like Fafa have a heck of alot of
recourse. Then again, this was only one link via Google.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Never play leapfrog with a photo enlarger.