Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

cpghost at cordula.ws cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri May 6 17:04:56 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 12:10:58PM -0700, John Pettitt wrote:
> This news just in:
>
> Fafa Hafiz Krantz a research designer at Barbershop in Norway (
> http://www.home.no/barbershop ) has asked that his posts be removed for
> all the archives of several public email lists.    The request sparked a
> heated debate over the issue of copyright on email lists and raised
> interesting questions about specifically opting in to having posts
> archived.  As is typical in such debates few of the participants cited
> any real evidence backing up their views and almost no attention was
> paid to the jurisdictional issues created by international lists.
>
> There was speculation that the request for deletion was prompted by the
> posters political views as referenced in his email signature which
> points to an article about middle east politics
> http://www.home.no/barbershop/smart/sharon.pdf
>
> With the debate he started Mr Krantz seems to have had ensured that his
> name will live in archives for the foreseeable future, referenced in
> articles such as this one which he has no copyright to and no control
> over.   In the end the best strategy seems to be: if you don't want to
> be quoted don't say anything.
>
> --END--

ROTFL!

Now post this on Slashdot and have it picked up by Google News and
major news agencies. I guess, Fafa's bandwidth costs will go through
the roof in the blink of an eye. So will his page rank, incidentally.
Not that I'm suggesting doing this, of course!

> This news item may be archived and reposted in any medium without
> limitation including on search engines.

Absolutely! Copyright doesn't protect anyone from making a fool out
of themselves.

Cheers,
-cpgost.

--