What is --- WRONG --- with my network?

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Fri May 6 16:55:26 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:20:54AM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:

> > Unfortunately, you appear to be preemptively rejecting the most obvious
> > advice, and implicitly asking that people start troubleshooting "from
> > the middle". Was your machine up without reboot for months? If so,
> > there's no guarantee that the state of named.conf actually reflects the
> > state of the previously running named prior to a reboot (alas, I've seen
> > this all too often).
>
> No, I had been rooting it quite often since I was testing PF.
>
> > Can you begin by posting your fully-functional named.conf and
> > resolv.conf? And possibly describing exactly what you mean by "my
> > nameserver is dysfunctional"? Do you mean that you cannot resolve
> > addresses from your host? Does dig work against your local nameserver
> > instance? Can you see any of the root servers with dig? Is named just
> > refusing to start? ... and so on.
>
> # cat /var/named/etc/namedb/named.conf
> #
>
>    options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb";
>         pid-file "/var/run/named/pid";
>    };

I also have:
        dump-file       "/var/dump/named_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/stats/named.stats";

>    zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "named.root";
>    };
>
>    zone "domain.com" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.domain.com";
>         allow-transfer { 209.98.223.41; };
>    };
>
>    zone "3.0.7.5.0.0.4.0.8.1.6.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.terrabionic.com.rev";
>         allow-transfer { 209.98.223.41; };
>    };
>
>    zone "terrabionic.lan" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.terrabionic.lan";
>    };
>
>    zone "187.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.terrabionic.lan.rev";
>    };
>
>    zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "db.localhost.rev";
>    };

It could be that type slave files need to go in the subdirectory slave
and type master files need to go in the subdirectory master. I have
this:

/*
zone "example.com" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/example.com";
        masters {
                192.168.1.1;
        };
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type slave;
        file "slave/0.168.192.in-addr.arpa";
        masters {
                192.168.1.1;
        };
};
*/

Check you /var/log/messages for errors about this.

--
Alex

Please copy the original recipients, otherwise I may not read your reply.
WWW: http://www.kruijff.org/alex/FreeBSD/