Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Fri May 6 12:04:48 PDT 2005

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 08:49:26PM +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Kirk Strauser writes:
>
> > So, how's that working out for you with non-US third-party mirrors that
> > aren't subject to American law in any way?
>
> The DMCA cannot be used against them directly, but if their traffic
> transits through servers or networks in the U.S., you can go after the
> U.S. providers.  It's more complicated than the simple case of notifying
> the infringing site directly.

  You are obviously not that familiar with the DMCA.  There are
specific safe-harbor provisions for ISPs and networks which are merely
transiting and/or caching traffic.  I have to believe you've never
actually implemented any of the strategies and claims you're
pontificating about.

  Of course, the best way to ensure you don't look bad in Google is to
try hard to post only intelligent questions and comments to mailing
lists - for example, by searching web archives of the mailing list or
employing common sense - and to post intelligent answers when you have
them.  Not acting like a buffoon will go a long way on the Net.  Of
course that may be just too hard for a few people.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair