starting mysql server automatically

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri May 6 11:03:46 PDT 2005

> Hi All,
>
> I'm setting up a server running Freebsd 5.3  I have
> mysql running well but I can't seem to get it to start
> automatically at boot time.  I can only start it as
> root with the command:
> mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
>
> (when I do this everything works fine)
>
> I tried installing the mysql.server sript as:
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.server.sh
> but when I try to run it manually I get this:
> ./mysql.server.sh: 102: Syntax error: Bad for loop
> variable
>
> What is the best way to get the mysql server running
> automatically when the computer boots?

Well, you probably will have to fix the for loop problem

You may have to set a variable in your rc.conf or earlier in
the mysql.server.sh.    Usually that script works just fine
so, either something got changed, something is in a differnt
than usual place or some value didn't get set where it needs to be.
It is hard to guess without seeing stuff and tinking with it.

Probably there is only one for loop, so take a look at it and see
what variable it is trying to use.  Put some echo's in the startup
script to find out where it is barfing if you need.

////jerry