Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri May 6 09:18:07 PDT 2005

--On Friday, May 06, 2005 01:08:45 PM +0200 Anthony Atkielski
<atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> As I've said, send a DMCA to the owner of the archive (and to other
> parties if they have copies).  If they don't take down the infringing
> material, you can sue.  If their ISPs don't cooperate, you can sue them
> as well.
>
>> There should be a law protecting users against this.
>
> There is: copyright law.  But most technical geeks don't know much about
> it, so they try to pretend that it doesn't exist.

So, if I *respond* to one of his posts (including his email address and at
least a portion of what he wrote) and therefore have *some* of his
"copyrighted" material in my post then he can request that *my* post be
removed *without* my permission?  Or he can sue *me* for having included
that "copyrighted" material in my post.

Do you now see anything wrong with this?

Before you start spouting legal advice on a public list, I would suggest
that you point to chapter and verse that *specifically* addresses posts
made to a public forum that *explicitly* states that such posts will be
archived and *explicitly* states that you have the right to request their
removal *and* the right to sue if the archiving party refuses to remove
them.  Furthermore, you must first prove that post made to a public forum
are protected by copyright laws.

Otherwise you're blowing black clouds of smoke.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member