vfs.usermount and directory owner

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Fri May 6 09:10:59 PDT 2005

On Friday 06 May 2005 08:41, Emanuel Strobl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to be able to access my cd drive as normal user. As any user, not a
> specific one. So it's a problem that I can't mount it to a general
> directory like /cdrom since only one user can be owner and it looks like
> it's required that the mountpoint belongs to the user, even with
> vfs.usermount=1 set.
>
> I can't see any security reason for that. If I decide to let users mount
> something (with vfs.usermount) why is there an extra check regarding the
> owner of the mountpoint?
> Is there another sysctl which disables that prerequisite or at least shifts
> the check to group instead of user id?

I asked a very similar question recently. In the end I added

chown $USER  /dvd

to /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xstartup. This changes the ownership of the
mountpoint in-between logging-in and  kde (or  whatever session you selected)
starting; I expect there is an equivalent script for the other login
managers. And if you login through a tty, the  fbtab method is what you want.