5 day lockup on Densitron

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Fri May 6 05:59:00 PDT 2005

"Richard J. Valenta" <RJV at WEBLINKMO.COM> writes:

> Hello all, I'm new to this list, but have been a part of the alpha list
> for some time - I hope I picked the right list for my questions.
>
> At work we had a machine which had in it a 200mhz pentium - the machine
> was an all-in-one flat panel made by a company named Densitron for
> industrial use.  On one side of it was a the flat/touch panel, and the
> idea was that it was a complete machine that could be installed into a
> wall - how cool is that?
>
> So when we needed to upgrade, I got my hands on it, and thought it would
> make a cool firewall to install into the wall of phone/ethernet panel in
> my basement.  I installed two ISA 3com cards and FreeBSD 5.3, everything
> seemed to work fine, but just to be safe I left it to run for a while.
> I came back a few days later and it had locked up...
>
> So I restarted it, and logged in as root, ran top - and let it go for a
> few days.  Alsways a lockup, I've now done this a few times and it seems
> to happen at 5 days, 1 hour and roughly 40 minutes.  Without fail, after
> 5 days I'll come downstairs and find it locked up at 5 days, 1 hour,
> etc...
>
> I'm at a loss as to why, I'm no expert with the crontab, so maybe I'm
> missing something.  But I'm looking for ideas, thanks.

This is pretty weird, all right.  The time period isn't a round number
in any units I can work out, in base 10 or 2.  It's probably some kind
of coincidence, so try to think of common factors.  Make sure that you
started it at different times, so you can tell the fact that it
stopped at the same period is an indication of how long it will run,
and not of hanging at a particular time.  Try moving it elsewhere in
the house (somewhere with better ventilation, in particular) and see
if the behaviour changes.

Good luck.