Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri May 6 04:33:26 PDT 2005

On 2005-05-06 05:57, Fafa Hafiz Krantz <fteg at london.com> wrote:
>> No, that would be impossible.  Hint: third-party mirrors (i.e. Google).
>
> What if ones life is at risk?
> Would that be up to the 3rd party mirror administrators?

I'm afraid that if your life would be at risk because you posted
questions on some of the FreeBSD mailing lists, there are truly more
important problems than online copies of your messages.

But yes, still things would be up to you and the third party
administrators.  The postmaster of FreeBSD does not have control over
who copies your posts and where they are mirrored.  Limiting access to
your posts (or anyone's for that matter) is contrary to the openness of
the project.

>> This is a recurring theme.  It's really *NOT* the fault of the
>> postmaster of FreeBSD.org that you posted to public mailing lists.
>
> There should be a law protecting users against this.
> There should be a way to help them!

This is why it is documented in a lot of places that the mailing lists
are public, open to anyone, archived online and their archives are
available through the FreeBSD web site.

Thus, it is first and foremost __you__ who controls what is available
online by controlling what and when you post.

- Giorgos