Mailinglist privacy: MY NAME ALL OVER GOOGLE!

Anthony Atkielski atkielski.anthony at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 6 03:52:29 PDT 2005

Fafa Hafiz Krantz writes:

> I have a big problem. My privacy has been violated.
>
> I had no idea when I first started writing posts to the FreeBSD
> mailinglist that it would be archived, let alone indexed by Google
> so that the world can spy on my words.
>
> Can the FreeBSD mailinglist administrators change my name and
> e-mails, or delete my posts, if I can prove that I wrote them?

You hold a copyright on your posts, so you can force them to be taken
off the Net with a DMCA notification.  The notification, which can be
sent by e-mail, must contain:

* Your name and address, and digital signature information

* The location of the infringing materials (where are they on the
Internet--a FreeBSD archive server, in your case)

* Identification of the copyrighted works (the specific posts you want
removed)

* A statement saying that you believe in good faith that the materials
infringe your copyrights.

* A statement saying that you believe your notice to be accurate and
that, under penalty of perjury, you are authorized to act against this
infringement (as an agent of the owner, although you're both one and the
same in this case).

* A statement saying that you accept U.S. jurisdiction.

You can find model notifications on the Web.  The targeted providers
must remove the infringing material until and unless they can show that
it is not infringing.  After a certain period, you must sue them to
obtain redress if they don't voluntarily remove the infringing
materials.  If they don't cooperate, you can notify their upstream
provider, which must act or assume liability itself for any
infringements ("safe harbor" provisions).

I'm not a lawyer, and this is not intended as legal advice.

--
Anthony