vfs.usermount and directory owner

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.strobl at gmx.net
Fri May 6 00:41:59 PDT 2005

Hello,

I want to be able to access my cd drive as normal user. As any user, not a
specific one. So it's a problem that I can't mount it to a general
directory like /cdrom since only one user can be owner and it looks like
it's required that the mountpoint belongs to the user, even with
vfs.usermount=1 set.

I can't see any security reason for that. If I decide to let users mount
something (with vfs.usermount) why is there an extra check regarding the
owner of the mountpoint?
Is there another sysctl which disables that prerequisite or at least shifts
the check to group instead of user id?

Thanks,

-Harry