syscons MAXCONS option

Ryan McIntosh rmcintosh at nitemare.net
Thu May 5 22:02:12 PDT 2005

I've been an avid user of FreeBSD for terminal based things, and I love to
keep terms open on a console only server.. however this leads to the default
limitation of syscons, kbdmap, and kbdcontrol where you can only have 16
consoles due to the definition of F_SCR (0x0b) and L_SCR (0x1a) in /usr/src/
sys/sys/kbio.h. I know the kernel option of MAXCONS does increase the console
count, however, if you go higher than 16, syscons does show the current max
set by that definition, but you can't actually use the consoles due to a
check in /usr/src/sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c that won't allow it to go higher
than L_SCR, and also both kbdmap and kbdcontrol have this same check. Is it
possible to have this fixed, since MAXCONS really doesn't do much, other than
max out at 16 consoles. I just keep modifying L_SCR in /usr/src/sys/sys/
kbio.h to what i set MAXCONS to + 10 (of course in hex though, I haven't read
through all of it to see exactly why everything is how it is, but F_SCR
starts on 11, so there's a gap of 10..?), kinda simple.. is it possible to
have this fixed? i keep having to do it manually, and would like to be able
to just define it in the kernel config and not have to run rampant through
the src to get the define to work.. or if someone wanted to, be able to set
it dynamically? :-) Thanks.

Ryan McIntosh
rmcintosh at nitemare.net