nvidia nforce motherboard w/onboard nic

je killen jekillen at prodigy.net
Thu May 5 21:05:34 PDT 2005

To whom ever receives and responds to this request for info;

I had installed Mandrake Linux on a machine that uses an nvidia
motherboard and found there to be no ethernet driver included with the
distribution.  After hunting around I found a driver for the onboard
nic from the nvidia web site. I installed it and got a tainted kernel
warning. I realize that FreeBSD is not Mandrake linux, but I also
anticipate a few hoops to jump through to get a driver for FreeBSD to
use this network interface. Needless to say I'm dumping Mandrake and
want to use FreeBSD. My source of info at this time is FreeBSD
Unleashed; Michael Urban and Brian Tiemann, Sams publishing. It has a
hardware compatibility list in an appendix in the back and is
copyrighted 2003 but lists minimum hardware requirements as intel 386
architecture or compatible processor (AMD, which I am using, I
presume). This leads me to believe that the text is somewhat dated. I
have another nic installed in the machine, a D-link card, but I want
two network cards. One to connect to ADSL and the other to connect to
the inside network. My machine has two pci Slots but I'd rather use the
builtin and one pci card slot (which I have been using). I would
appreciate any guidance on this matter; E.G, Is there a FreeBSD
compatible driver for this nic? I have not determined what chip set is
used.
Thank you so much for your time and attention:
I would thank you by name but I don't know who will be responding;
Jeff Killen
jekillen at prodigy.net