serial console

Kees Plonsz trap1 at jeremino.homeunix.net
Thu May 5 12:05:53 PDT 2005

Paul T. Root wrote on Thursday 05 May 2005 20:16:

> I'm trying to get a HP Vectra up without keyboard
> or monitor with Serial A as the console.
>
> I looked in the Handbook and FAQ, all it talks about
> is for an install.
>
> The worst part is, I have 1 machine running this way
> (Intel motherboard) and I remember I tested doing that
> on an identical Vectra.
>
> The intel box is running 4.11-Stable (I haven't got around
> to upgrading yet, weekends are tight). The Vectra is 5.4-Stable
> (cvsuped yesterday).
>
> What I've tried (loader.conf) doesn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul.

I have get a HP-vectra too, running as mail-server with no keyboard attached.
It's all in the handbook:

   1. Connect the serial port. The serial console will be on COM1.
   2. echo -h > /boot.config to enable the serial console for the boot loader and kernel.
      ( I use "-P" so you can switch to console by plugging the keyboard in )
   3. Edit /etc/ttys and change off to on for the ttyd0 entry.
      This enables a login prompt on the serial console,
      which mirrors how video consoles are typically setup.
   4. shutdown -r now will reboot the system with the serial console.

--
Key-ID = A6581435          E-mail: replace trap1 with kees