ATA to CF fails to mount root

Trevor Blackwell tlb at anybots.com
Thu May 5 11:03:21 PDT 2005

I'm running FreeBSD on a Lippert Cool EcoRunner board which has a NS
Geode processor and some kind of integrated ATA controller from SiS.
Trying to use the CF card as the root file system causes it to hang.

When I boot the kernel from the CF card and then mount a different disk
as the root file system it works fine. I can then mount the CF card
manually and do lots of IO to it without trouble.

I've tried changing various BIOS settings such as using Normal instead
LBA addressing, setting different PIO modes, etc with no change. In
every case it can't mount it as root, but can mount it otherwise. I'm
confident that the CF has everything it needs in its root file system. I
originally had soft updates turned on, but turning it off made no
difference.

Any ideas?

Booting with boot_verbose:

ata0: iobase=0x01f0 altiobase=0x03f6 bmaddr=0x0000
ata0: mask=03 ostat0=50 ostat2=50
ata0-master: ATAPI 00 00

ad0: <512MB Flash Card/CFBA207B> ATA-0 disk at ata0-master
ad0: 488MB (1000944 sectors), 993 C, 16 H, 63 S, 512 B
ad0: 1 secs/int, 1 depth queue, BIOSPIO
ad0: piomode=4, dmamode=-1, udmamode=-1 cblid=0

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0s1: type 0xa5, start 63, end=1000943, size 1000881: OK
start_init: trying /sbin/init
[HANG. Ctl-Alt-Del does a clean reboot]

--
Trevor Blackwell      tlb at anybots.com       (650) 210-9272