Trouble with XFree86 Configuration

Naomi Fernandez naomi.fernandez at sympatico.ca
Thu May 5 11:01:34 PDT 2005

"Hi!

I'm having a devil of a time trying to configure XFree86 Server and Desktop
in FreeBSD 5.3.

I was running FreeBSD 4.9 just fine complete with Gnome2. Yesterday, I
installed (from scratch) FreeBSD 5.3 on the same machine. The installation
went fine and the machine booted perfectly. When I "sysinstall" to do a
"Post-Installation Configuration", I don't get the option to "Configure the
XFree86 Server" or Desktop. So I never get the chance to configure my
monitor or video card or choose Gnome2 as my GUI.

When I "startx" as root, I get this really clunky lo-res screen with three
windows on it. When I exit that and go back to the prompt, I get a message
saying "fbdev does not exist".

I've reinstalled about half a dozen times and it's always the same. Can you
please advise me of why I can't get to the point of configuring my monitor
and card and then select Gnome2 as my GUI?   I selected “X-user” when I did
the install. As I mentioned above, all worked perfectly under FreeBSD 4.9.
If there is any another information that I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Lawrence