4.9-RELEASE Xorg switch question

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu May 5 08:56:51 PDT 2005

hello all,

i switched from XFree86 to X.org on my 4.9-RELEASE system, using the
instructions in UPDATING. i had to do one extra things, before i could
finish the Xorg install: i had to force upgrade of mesa-4 to mesa-6
(under new name, which i forget). i also edited make.conf and changed
X_WINDOW_SYSTEM.

now, after the switch, i have the same problem with 'pkgdb -F', reported in:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-questions/2004-November/063409.html

kris kennaway responded to that question with the below:

--------------------------

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 08:10:51PM -0500, Ralph M. Los wrote:
>
>> OK, so what I did was followed the UPDATING file's advice, and did the
>> customary:
>>
>>   pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/imake-4* /var/db/pkg/XFree86-*
>>   cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install
>>   pkgdb -F
>>
>> But I STILL get this after the pkgdb -F, now what??
>
> Er, read the rest of the advice ;-)
>
> Hint: the 20040723 entry.

--------------------------

i looked at the 20040723 entry again, but there is nothing more to do
(in my case) listed there. also 20040723 gives instructions for 5.x,
FreeBSD-current, -stable and older -current, but doesn't explicitly
mention -release (which is what i run).

to restate, my problem is that 'pkgdb -F' now reports many stale
dependencies on imake-4 and XFree86*. (i could probably run 'pkgdb ...
-s /imake-4/imake-6/ ...' to fix the image-4 issue, though i am not sure
even that's the right fix. that still leaves me with the XFree86
dependencies).

i am sure i am missing something obvious, but having searched the
archives, i haven't found the fix. any advice? thank you!

	--ravi