How should I divvy up my HDDs? Suggestions Please.

freebsd.org at donnacha.com freebsd.org at donnacha.com
Thu May 5 08:17:16 PDT 2005

Thanks for taking the time to advise me Robert.

 > 	Consider putting the databases (data, not code) in their own
 > partition.  That way they can be backed up, restored, and otherwise
 > managed independantly of other system operations.
 > 	The downside of this is you lose the ability to "borrow" space
 > from a larger partition.

Is MySQL's code usually installed in /var, alongside the DB data?

If so, where would you suggest I instead place the code?

 > 	As for swap: you've got 2gb ... now.  Is there any chance
 > you'll add more in the future?  Then build the system with swap for
 > that value.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that!  Seeing as I have plenty of space, I'll
make it 4GB per HDD, having lots of swap can't hurt, can it?

 >  As always, spread it multiple spindles for better
 > performance.

Does each disk have multiple spindles?  Are they like platters?  I am
aware that swap should be placed on the outer edge of each disk.

 >> How big should /tmp be?
 >
 > 	This may be hard to determine.  My workstation uses 18k /tmp on
 > a 500mb / ... except when certain programs are running ("make
 > buildworld"??).  With that much space, you might want to consider:
 > put /tmp under/, but leave unallocated space (100-500 mb) on the
 > other drive that could be put into service if that proves
 > insufficient.

Wow, I didn't realize I could get away with using so little space for
/tmp.  I guess 1GB should cover it then, is that right?

 > 	recreate the partition at the new size (using only contiguous
 > 		space)

Okay, how about the following, leaving plenty of space for resizing
partitions at a later date:

80GB HDD:
/ = 30GB
swap = 4GB
free space = 46GB

200GB HDD:
/db (special partition for database data)= 50GB
/var = 50GB (may be a heavy-duty mail server at some stage)
/home = 30GB
/usr = 10GB
/tmp = 1GB
swap = 4GB
free space = 55GB

Does that make sense?  Am I leaving enough free space to shift things
around at a later stage?  Do some of my allocations seem disproportionate?

I might also use some of the free space on each disk to hold temporary
back-ups of the data on the other.

Thanks,

Donnacha