Running out of memory

Jacob S stormspotter at 6Texans.net
Thu May 5 07:59:30 PDT 2005

I've got a server that keeps running out of memory and crashing. It has
1GB of swap and 1GB of ram. I originally made the swap the same size as
the ram, as my previous experience with *nix machines was that when swap
is double the size of ram, the computer is almost totally unuseable for
at least 30 minutes whenever the computer needs to clean out swap.

Has anyone else seen this problem, or is it safe for me to add another
GB of swap?

Also, I made the mistake of partitioning all the space on the hard
drive, with only 1GB set aside for swap. How big of a performance hit
would it be to use a swap file instead of a swap partition? Is there an
easy (and safe!) way to resize partitions so that I could add in a
second swap partition?

TIA,
Jacob