How should I divvy up my HDDs? Suggestions Please.

Harald Schmalzbauer harry at schmalzbauer.de
Thu May 5 07:53:09 PDT 2005

Am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2005 14:56 schrieb Jerry McAllister:
> > Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and this list, my name is Donnacha, I'm an
> > Irishman living in Edinburgh, Scotland.
> >
> > I have read The Complete FreeBSD's section on disk partioning but
> > would very much appreciate some advice on how to divide up the 2 HDDs
> > I'm getting on my new server.
> >
> > The server is located in a facility in the US and will be used as a
> > Web and email server.  It has an 80GB HDD and a 200GB HDD, both IDE
> > but I'm asking for them to be placed on seperate buses.
> >
> > I was thinking of using the 80GB as the primary and placing / on it,
> > while putting /var, /usr and /home on the 200GB.
> >
> > I'll have 2GB of RAM, so, I was thinking about putting 2GB of swap on
> > each HDD.
> >
> > How does that sound.  I would be very grateful for any advice you can
> > give me before I relay my instructions to the guys doing the
> > installation.
>
> It depends a lot on what you leave in /usr and /var and /home.
> It kind of looks like you will leave the 80GB drive mostly empty
> the way you are doing things.  If all your accounts and web pages
> are really in /home and you have no databases, I would be inclined
> to put both /usr and /var in the 80GB drive and leave the other one
> for home directories and web pages.   Since the default place for
> databases is in /var that can make a big difference on where you put
> it or if you take the db directory out of /var and put it somewhere
> else, etc.
>
> Putting some of your swap on each drive as you have indicated
> is a good idea.

Ack! I just wanted to point you to GPT. I always use my second drive
without MBR/slices/labels, just GPT. You can create up to 128 Pratitions
and together with either growfs ( if you leave unassigned space between
the partitions) or gconcat I have a very flexible storage solution (of
course gvinum is another option).
It's also possible to create a GPT inside a slice (so even on the first
HD), just / must be on a bsdlabel.
I use such a configuration for jails or virtual hosts, where every jail or
virthos has its own mountpoint. Initially with not too much space (1G),
increased on demand.

-Harry