How should I divvy up my HDDs? Suggestions Please.

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Thu May 5 05:56:08 PDT 2005

> Hello, I'm new to FreeBSD and this list, my name is Donnacha, I'm an
> Irishman living in Edinburgh, Scotland.
>
> I have read The Complete FreeBSD's section on disk partioning but would
> very much appreciate some advice on how to divide up the 2 HDDs I'm
> getting on my new server.
>
> The server is located in a facility in the US and will be used as a Web
> and email server.  It has an 80GB HDD and a 200GB HDD, both IDE but I'm
> asking for them to be placed on seperate buses.
>
> I was thinking of using the 80GB as the primary and placing / on it,
> while putting /var, /usr and /home on the 200GB.
>
> I'll have 2GB of RAM, so, I was thinking about putting 2GB of swap on
> each HDD.
>
> How does that sound.  I would be very grateful for any advice you can
> give me before I relay my instructions to the guys doing the installation.

It depends a lot on what you leave in /usr and /var and /home.
It kind of looks like you will leave the 80GB drive mostly empty
the way you are doing things.  If all your accounts and web pages
are really in /home and you have no databases, I would be inclined
to put both /usr and /var in the 80GB drive and leave the other one
for home directories and web pages.   Since the default place for
databases is in /var that can make a big difference on where you put
it or if you take the db directory out of /var and put it somewhere
else, etc.

Putting some of your swap on each drive as you have indicated
is a good idea.

////jerry