Clock running fast

James Alexander Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Wed May 4 14:06:00 PDT 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:51:05PM -0500, W. D. wrote:
> At 14:49 5/4/2005, Ryan Winograd, wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >I recently noticed that the system clock on a machine i recently set up
> >is running very quickly, about 2x realtime by my measuring. What can i
> >do to solve/investigate this problem? What information would be helpful?
>
> http://www.Google.com/search?q=install+ntp+on+FreeBSD

I might be wrong here, but doesn't NTP only make occasional adjustments to the
system clock?

If your clock runs twice as fast as normal, it would jump to the correct time
every time ntpd corrected it, but in between automatic adjustments, the time
would become wildly innacurate.

Also, wouldn't a problem like this make your system try to play movies at
twice the frame rate, and things like that?  NTP is worth a try, but I doubt
if it will fix things like that.

A google search for "fast clock" seemed to turn up a few results about this
problem on mailing lists; I haven't looked into them further.

- James Cook
  james.cook at utoronto.ca