Building kernel without some modules

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Wed May 4 11:22:43 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 09:03:49AM +0500, Vitaly Bogdanov wrote:
>
>>Hi.
>>Is it possible to build kernel without compiling unnecessary modules?
>>My system - freebsd5.3.
>

> See make.conf(5)

That wasn't very nice.  It's not that it's wrong, but the fella sounded
to me like he was asking if a target existed, and not everyone is
familiar with our make.  Responding like you did had the sole function
of trying to shut off any other responses, and was just not helpful at
all to the querent.

I honestly consider that what's happened to our make, the slow code
changes that have just ruined it for cross-platform portability, to be
scandolous (sp?).  There was no reason that the stuff needed to go into
using all those specialized libraries that exist nowhere else but
FreeBSD.  We have a functionally very , very nice make, but it's not so
good that it knocks out the competition ... gmake has more than a few
points that are definitely superior than ours (as the reverse is also
true).  Making it so totally non-portable was a great example of bad
spartsmanship.

I can't say that Linux isn't equally guilty of it, heck, more so, but
that doesn't excuse it, sorry.