Sendmail masquerading breaks local mail delivery

Paul A. Hoadley paulh at logicsquad.net
Tue May 3 19:36:27 PDT 2005

Hello,

Because of a bizarre email topology that exists at an office I have a
5.3 machine installed at, I have recently configured sendmail to
masquerade the hostname of outgoing mail to drop the machine name
part.  This is in bert.coremedicalsolutions.com.submit.mc:

divert(-1)
# Comments...
divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.submit.mc,v 1.1 2003/10/19 00:03:13 gshapiro Exp $')
define(`confCF_VERSION', `Submit')dnl
define(`__OSTYPE__',`')dnl dirty hack to keep proto.m4 from complaining
define(`_USE_DECNET_SYNTAX_', `1')dnl support DECnet
define(`confTIME_ZONE', `USE_TZ')dnl
define(`confDONT_INIT_GROUPS', `True')dnl
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `WorkAroundBrokenAAAA')dnl
dnl
dnl If you use IPv6 only, change [127.0.0.1] to [IPv6:::1]
MASQUERADE_AS(coremedicalsolutions.com)dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
FEATURE(`msp', `[127.0.0.1]')dnl

As a result of this, though, all the periodic mails and the output
from cron are now (I gather) having the local hostname stripped, and
being sent off to the MX-listed mailer for the wider domain at an ISP.
How do I get local mail delivered locally, while still masquerading
the domain name for non-local mail?

--
Paul.

w  http://logicsquad.net/