make installworld (remotely)

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue May 3 15:20:15 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 12:29:40AM +0300, Lauri Anteploon / ctrl-L wrote:
>

>>Would it be okey to run make installworld when running in multiuser mode and
>>being the only person whos logged on and maby shutting down most of the
>>network services (leaving my sshd running though) ?
>>

>It's possible to do this if everything goes 100% right, but if not
>then you'll be left without a usable machine.  You really want a
>serial console (and remotely-accessible power controller) for remote
>machines, so you can recover them even if you make a mistake.

Or a machine which can boot off a network disk.  The you can boot off
the network, mount your local disks and fix the problems.  If you can
boot off a network disk, you might even be able to run installworld, but
you'd have to figure out how to make it install into something like
/mnt/usr instead of /usr.  Someone else will have to tell you if that's
possible.

--Alex