swap space

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue May 3 14:30:14 PDT 2005

On May 3, 2005, at 3:20 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 03:15:54PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net
> LLC wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Well, on my production system, I am not dumping any kernels.  Once It
>> crashes, I reboot it and go back into production.  Anything dumped
>> would get wiped out.  Luckily I am pretty conservative and only move
>> to new versions of the OS when they have been released a while and so
>> my machines have not had panics in years.
>>

> It's up to you, of course, but it's been my experience that you might
> regret the small expenditure of a few gigabytes one day when you do
> run into a panic you need help to solve...

Of course, now that I have mentioned it, my luck will change and
something  bad will happen.

I am not running cheap large IDE disks, but expensive fast high
performance U320 disks on RAID controllers and so the extra GB does
cost something.  If I get a repeating panic, I can boot off a
recovery disk and add in extra swap I guess.

Thanks
I always learn a lot here  (I just wish someone could help me with
the mail submission question I posted)
Chad